Saturday 28 August 2010

On change and lizards.

Maybe sometimes, we got it wrong, but it's alright,
The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same
Ooh,
don't you hesitate.

So it's that time of the year again. As far as change goes, this time of year feels more significant than the actual turn of the year...the seasons change (not that we've had much of a summer this year!) and it's a new year of college, and each year brings new challenges and whatnot. 

So the year in review...what was I? Fresh off the back of 12 A*s and eleven weeks of holiday, in September 2009 I still didn't have a clue. I mean, I knew I could do what I'd already done but I genuinely, genuinely believed I couldn't go any further.

This year I've turned into something new. True, I appear to have lost my old photographic memory (and good lord I miss it) but I've gained so much more! 

I've lost the "I don't have to do it so I won't" mentality. I've learned that talking to people isn't so hard. I've discovered that, at heart, I'm a redhead. I've worked out where my loyalties lie. I've learnt how to work for a living, and that the money is bloody useful. I've learnt that adult fiction is actually better than YA trash, even with the minimal effort that has to be pu tin to read it. I've learnt you can't fake love for something. I've learnt to listen to my own emotions. I've learnt how to keep my head in a crisis and that travelling is an enormous thrill. I've learnt I'm not infallible; my big glaring B in Critical Thinking has seen to that.

So whilst I don't want to count my lizards before they've hatched, I think I've changed for the better this year.

Just a theory.

Emma x


No comments: