Friday 6 August 2010

Cue dodgy Kate Bush impressions.

He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton’s is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.” 

Over the holiday that I've rambled about enough already, I read Wuthering Heights for the first time.
(Laugh at me if you want, there's so many books and so little time!) 
Did I like it?

Sort of. The writing in alot of parts was beautiful, like the quote at the top which catapulted itself to near the top of my list of "GOOD QUOTES" and I appreciated the complexity of the plot, if not neccessarily the plausibility of it. 
(How convenient that Isabella falls suddenly in love with Heathcliff, and their union provides an Edgar Linton mark II for Cathy II. I suppose that's where the novel becomes a comment not a story. Actually, whilst I'm on this subject, I'm not sure what Bronte was trying to say with the repetition. Something relating to the moors, I guess. Haven't thought it through yet. I'm sure its pretty basic to anyone who studied it for GCSE, but my brain hasn't made the conclusion yet.)
Wow, long side note. But it was a good book that stuck in my brain for a long time afterwards, and I really enjoyed reading it.

But here's the thing, the thing I'm almost embarrassed to say out loud, on blog, where people can read it: I didn't get Heathcliff.

Which surprised me! All I've heard my entire life is the sexiness of Heathcliff, the amazingness of Heathcliff, I ♥ Heathcliff...and don't get me wrong, I could see where they were coming from. His love for Cathy is hot. I felt sorry for the way he was treated. 
But he was a total twat! Driven not by love but by revenge, he ruins people's lives (or attempts to) just because his was ruined. For God's sake man, take up boxing! Go on a long run! No matter what he goes through, it doesn't justify what a bastard he was in the latter half of the book.

That's my opening statement. I really like arguing with people about books though, so hey, if someone can remind me what I've missed or just vehemently disagree with everything I've said, go ahead. Arguing is fun.


Emma x

No comments: