It's pretty well known that I am a food addict. My tumblr regularly deteriorates into a food porn heaven/hell when I'm hungry, and I've been known to declare myself as "toast-sexual" when drunk.
Anyway, I'm also a student, a definite carnivore and a devoted bargain hunter; an inconsistent triangle if I ever did see one! For that reason, the reduced section of the meat aisle at my local Morrisons turns me into a crazy lady, rifling through reduced lamb chops (too expensive) and nearly-off potato salad to find that holy grail of bargains, cheap meat.
70 of your finest British pence for these buggers, ladies and gentlemen. Admittedly pork cheeks don't sound like the most mouth-watering of delicacies, but my student mind figured hey! what the hell! out-of-date, weird cuts of meat are basically my speciality!
So I bought them, and holy hell. Slow-cooked and with the right seasoning, these things taste like...like a really good cut of lamb, or something. I don't even understand. For the ridiculous price of 35p per head (...well, unless you're greedy like me and ate all four) I felt like I was eating real meat for the first time in weeks!
I've also spent my day eating stilton with a spoon. White stilton with cranberries, golden raisins and amaretto. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Also found in the reduced section, btdubs.
TO CONCLUDE, everyone should shop reduced! Because it's the best. Okay good.
Saturday, 1 December 2012
Anybody else feeling gloriously, disgustingly festive now that December has finally unveiled its head? I've spent my day drinking hot chocolate, listening to christmas songs and now I'm watching Love Actually...only the best Christmas film of all time, am I right?
This particular song is relevant because I'm going home for Christmas in a mere 21 days and I'm excited! I'm blessed to love both my York life and my UK life but I'm so excited to be home for a while, especially with all the festivities that will undoubtedly line up in the time I'm at home.
Fittingly, this week's blanks are Christmas themed! As usual I'm not filling them in on a Friday, but I'm sure you'll all be able to cope with this maverick side of me.
1. "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is...": lots and lots and lots of Christmas music. There's nothing more guaranteed to put a smile on my face.
2. The holiday season is: historically it's been a stressful anxious awkward time for me but I'm feeling more positive about that aspect of things than I ever have been before. So I'm ludicrously optimistic and so down for some cosy festive activities.
3. When it comes to holiday decorating...at number 22 we still have a lot of pirate decs up from my housemate's birthday...so in that sense, we're failing. Hoping to get some tinsel up soon. As far as I'm concerned, though, the tackier the better!
4. The thing I look forward to most about the holidays is: eating my weight in food, having the fire on, and the way town centres look when they're all lit up and lovely.
5. My favorite holiday tradition is: Boxing Day dog walks with family friends. Just lovely.
6. This year my Christmas plans include: York Christmas on the 8th, family get-together (groan) 23rd, Christmas 25th, home friends Christmas meal some time around then, and a boring-as-hell New Years at work. Huzzah!
7. My favorite holiday food is: has to be a classic roast dinner with all the trimmings. You really can't go far wrong with that.
|Let's all go to Hogwarts for Christmas. Y/N?|