Thursday 30 September 2010

Explanation for the lack of pontification,

I'm applying to Uni this year to study English Lit at Cambridge, York, Exeter, Nottingham, or Swansea.
Four out of five of these are v.v.v. competitive and here's the thing: I have never read any Austen, any Dickens, any Chaucer, any ANYTHING and so I'm dedicating between now and my Cambridge interview (if I get that far :/) to reading until my eyes fall out. Since Tuesday night I've done Tess of the d'Urbervilles and I'm halfway through Great Expectations now. So hopefully, I'll get through enough that I'm not a complete literary non-entity

http://prettybooks.tumblr.com. You won't regret it.

Anyway,until then I will be very very very busy reading so I'm keeping posts to their barest minimum. Don't go away! I'll be back!

2 comments:

Gemma said...

How did you find Tess? I have to say that it is one of my all time favourite novels, so if you did dislike it lie to me.

Not really a fan of Chaucer or Austen (eurgh) but Dickens was decent. It's good to have a working knowledge of them all anyway.

Good luck with the applications.

Aoife. said...

Oh wow. Compared to the comment above I might as well be reading 'the very hungry catapiller'. Hope the interview goes well (: