Wednesday 5 May 2010

Crit Cakes

[NOTE: pics will be uploaded here just as soon as I find my camera. Until then, you will have to wait.]

So, a little bit of background! Basically, Critical Thinking is easily the boring-est subject in the entire universe, honest to God. So we brighten it up a little by having a baking rota.

Which is a little bit weird, but girls college + exam stress + general lack of self conciousness makes for a fun combination.

ANYway, what I originally planned to make was these, s'more cookie bars from Crepes of Wrath.

But then I started looking at the ingredients, and there were a few issues.

First off, the recipe needed Graham Crackers. Whilst I'm sure any americans reading this will go "duh", to me it was a case of eh? because we really don't have them here.

Second, marshmellow creme/fluff. Which you can get here, if you want to a) pay extortionate amounts to get it shipped in from America or b) schlep into Selfridges and pay £7 a jar for it. Which I was not prepared to do. So I looked up a homemade recipe. But that had corn syrup in it, which is another thing that just doesn't exist here.

SO, I improvised. Below is the rough recipe I used, based on the original and adapted to English and marshmellow hating peoples.

Chocolate Cookie Bars - from Crepes of Wrath

Ingredients
  • 112g butter
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 112g caster sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 133g plain flour
  • approx. 6 digestive biscuits, crushed to a powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Chocolate - I bought four 100g bars of cheap milk chocolate from Tesco, but use whatever takes your fancy.

1. Take dry ingredients (flour, biscuits, salt, baking powder) and mix together.
2. Seperately, mix the egg, both types of sugar and vanilla extract*
3. Mix the two together on a slow heat.
4. Take half the dough and spread it on a greased baking tray.
5. Lay the chocolate over the top.
6. (If you have marshmellow creme, lucky sod. Spread it over the top right now.)
7. Spread the rest of the dough on top.

THEN NUKE IT, 160 degrees for about half an hour or until the smoke alarm goes off.

Things You Might Like To Know
-
This makes about 12 squares. I doubled up and got 27. But they do expand in the oven so don't panic if there isn't enough.
- Your dog will love these. Keep her clear.
- DO NOT USE REAL MARSHMELLOWS. I've been told they go really hard in the oven.

Well, that's all. Stay tuned, fellaz!


* Don't do what I did and forget the egg. "Why is this so dry?" I ask myself, baffled, before spotting the egg squatting solitary on the breakfast bar.

No comments: