Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Fabulous Five.

I'm doing a thing! I figured seeing as we're well into the new year now (roughly a quarter?) I'll do a quarterly review of the entertainment sector. And by that, I mean "things you should be watching, listening to, or otherwise getting excited about because I said so so there."

1. THE MUSIC


After a long absence from listening to music, I'm finally back attempting to discover music all the time. I finally got Spotify a few weeks ago and it feels GOOD. Because it's legal. And free. And excellent. Even if the adverts make me want to puke.
(In other news, Facebook-ers, please God click the "make your session private" button. I am sick of seeing you re-listen to your Katy Perry album for the fifteenth time on repeat.)

So summing up all my musical listens since the New Year...try this!


If you get a chance to listen to the album, I prefer Ghosts as a track but there are no decent versions on Youtube, sadly :(

2. THE BOOK


One piece of exciting book related news: I signed up to be a giver for World Book Night 2012 which essentially involves me giving out books to people for FREE. It's a brilliant initiative which ends up in the giving out of a ridiculous one million free books, all in the name of encouraging reading and the wonderful wonderful worlds that you find in books. I'm giving out 24 copies of Let The Right One In which should be fun.

Howevah, if I'm going to recommend a book to you all from this quarter of the year...it's got to be Midnight's Children. I read it for my Global Lit module, but it's indescribably good...weird, yes, surreal and obscenely long but if you've got the time and the willpower, it's a sort of post-modernist, magical realist, inaccurate history of India told through the lens of Saleem Sinai and his family (he doesn't even get born until about a third of the way through of the book.) If you like dung-lotuses, telepathy, large noses, even larger families, pickle factories and magicians...then you'll probably like Midnight's Children.

I say probably. It is one of the most unique books I've ever read, but it's brilliant.

This is my least favourite cover...but Google, once again, has left me with no alternative.
THE BIG SCREEN


I don't watch that many films any more, due to time constraints and money constraints and the general laziness of my flatmates and I. The city centre is a long walk away. However, we did go and see one film this term and it was bloody good.

Initially, we were planning on seeing The Muppets Movie. Americans, I know it came out months ago for you, but we only got it about a month ago. Typically, we were running late...actually, we were running very late. And then we hit an unexpectedly long queue. Which turned out to be the auxiliary queue for the main queue. We were so late, in fact, that the staff wouldn't let us buy Muppets tickets. We ended up settling for the Woman in Black, a 12A rated horror film starring Daniel Radcliffe, of-late star of the fluffy-family-not-very-scary Potter saga.

Reactions on leaving the cinema?
"Well that was nothing like the Muppets."
"HOW WAS THAT A 12A?!"
"I'm never sleeping again."

Turns out? It's actually a very creepy film. For me, personally...I have a thing about creepy children. But all of us were much more creeped out than a bunch of 18/19 year olds should have been by a 12A film. So er...go watch it! You'll enjoy it! The ending will annoy you. But other than that.

Oh, in other film news, I finally watched Anastasia all the way though: not as good as I hoped. I also watched Tangled. Better than I expected.

AND THE LITTLE ONE


There is only one way I can really go with this. Despite drastic cast changes, Being Human series 4 has rocked my world with its sheer excellence...it has amazing character development, astonishing continuity (The Real Hustle, anyone?) plot, background, emotion...you know when a television show really just makes you want to swallow it whole and keep it forever? Yeah. And um...I mean the UK version. Although I'm sure the Syfy version is wonderful too.



For the uninitiated: Being Human is a sort of horror-drama-sitcom about three flatmates who happen to be a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost. Oh, and there's a baby. And some bad!vamps. And some hilarious situations along the way. You will laugh and cry. Sometimes at the same time.

So yeah...get on that, eh?

I AM UNSURE WHAT I THOUGHT THE FIFTH SECTION WAS GOING TO BE. HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYBODY. AND UM...GIVE ME YOUR FAB FOUR IN THE COMMENTS, IF YOU LIKE :)

No comments: