Wednesday 1 February 2012

Dear Auntie Emma,

At the end of the school year in secondary school, our form used to do a sort of awards ceremony, completely just between us, and I once got awarded Best Agony Aunt...in fact, I think I got it more than once.

Times have passed, a little, but BY GOD do I attract the emotional baggage, particularly from drunk people but just in general.

To clarify: of course I don't mind listening to people's issues. I'm genuinely quite flattered that people trust me enough to talk to me about things that are on their minds. But jesus wept, why on earth do they all choose me!

I've listened to romantic issues, housemate problems, general feelings of depression, secret crushes, parent problems, blah blah blah, and like I say, I like it. I'm flattered. But last night really took the biscuit.

I met a guy in a club, right. I was dressed as a hobbit, but that's by the by, I just want you to be impressed that I managed to pull IN HOBBIT ATTIRE. So yeah, we hit it off, and after I explained that I wasn't about to sleep with him or anything, we got a taxi home together and I went back to his room, ostensibly to "watch a film."

The next thing I know, it's THREE HOURS LATER, and we've spent the time from half four to half seven with him unloading his emotional baggage about his ex-girlfriend, his home life, stuff that, in his own words, "I've literally never told anyone in the whole world about."

IN THE WHOLE WORLD. AND YOU'RE TELLING A DRUNK GIRL, DRESSED AS A HOBBIT, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I mean, yeah, it's great that he got the chance to vent out what were obviously a lot of unsolved conflicts. I'm happy I could help. But we'd literally just met.

My point being, therefore, this: why, why, why, why, why, why, why, do people vent at me so often? I swear I don't give out 'vent at me' signals. Not intentionally anyway.

I don't mind, but I'm thoroughly confused x

No comments: