Saturday 21 November 2009

Old Buggers


Let me start off by saying that I have the utmost of respect for those who fought in WWII. Seriously, I'm eternally grateful to those who gave their lives, suffered great hardships etc; I appreciate that without them I'd be speaking German right now. And I wouldn't be writing a blog (no freedom of speech) or...actually, I wouldn't be born. Part-Jewish, you see.

So now that that's out of the way, I'm going to rant about an article I read in the Daily Mail today. In essence, it was war veterans who had answered a question along the lines of: was it worth it? Is Britain as a country worse than it used to be? The answer, in short, was no. But there was no focus on things that might actually be an issue, oh no. The focus was vastly on immigration. Example: "I don't like all these people in Muslim and Sikh costumes on the streets," "they come over here laughing at us and taking our welfare whilst we scrimp and save on our pensions," "was it worth it? no."

Paraphrased, but you get my point. And if there's one thing that really, SERIOUSLY makes my blood boil, its racism like this - mindless, pointless, generalisations that victimise one sector of society. When you have a heart attack, old man, and there's a muslim doctor and a sikh nurse, I hope you refuse treatment and die. Or are you willing to take advantage of it? I think you are.
And when you fought in the war, was it to secure Britain as a country, make Britain great above all others. Was this your ultimate aim: a British utopia, when every other country was post-armageddon, a radioactive wasteland? No, you were fighting for the greater good and for peace throughout Europe. Why should you guard our priveleges so closely, deny them to others who, let's face it, want to get ahead in life? It's a natural human instinct.
And I bet you never buy *anything* made abroad, either. You don't support human sweatshops, where 11 year old kids are forced to work 14 hours a day to recieve what your pension gives you in a week every year. If one of them needed life saving treatment on the NHS, I bet you wouldn't begrudge them it.
The point is, you can't pick and choose who you give benefits to. It's not right, it's not something you have the power to make decisions on - if you're religious, it's God. For me, it's nobody. I wouldn't deny anyone the right to healthcare, the right to want what's best in life. Is that a mentality so very different from yours?
I know, I understand I do that it's hard to accept the nature of immigration. It's hard to understand how it can be fair to share the country you fought for with those who didn't.
I didn't fight for the right to live in this country.

I think I blame the Daily Mail itself, mostly. The audacity they have to spin ONE QUESTION at the end of ONE QUESTIONNAIRE into a double page, 'the atrocity of britain today' is dreadful. And blatantly, disgustingly racist.
I don't know why I'm surprised, given it's reputation.

So I don't know. Maybe I come across a little harsh, maybe I don't make much sense, but you get my point. Britain. Is. Fine.

End of.

No comments: