Saturday 3 October 2009

Artifical Intelligence

This isn't a science post, promise.
I hate science, I gave them ALL up for A-Level.

I'm talking about writing, the process of, the hobby of. I haven't mentioned it here before, but I do like to write. Purely for recreational purposes, just to get the characters out of my head and on to something permanent mostly. ANYHOW, I'm talking here about a subplot of a specific story (which I've pretty much abandoned) and how it completely changed.

My original plan was this - create a team that were sort of like Justice League America - people with different backgrounds who came together in a common cause. Originally, the protagonist Rosie was intended to fall in love with the first guy who comes to the team.

I named him Edward, temporarily, simply because he was the romantic interest for the lead, like Edward Cullen. Yes, I know. Gay. But like I say, it was a temporary name which didn't reflect his character at all.

Then, later in the book, I planned for these prodigiously clever twins to join up too, and be a part of the team. Finally, a fifth member called Claire was going to end up a part of them.

EITHERHOW, I started writing this story in the traditional way, starting at the beginning, and I tried to write in the first flutterings of relationship between Rosie and Gayboy Edward.

And it just wasn't working! No matter how hard I tried, in every scene I planned out the chemistry between them just didn't exist, they didn't manage conversations, basically they were rubbish.

And then in a eureka moment (I believe it happened in a Physics lesson in the end) I realised that not only would Rosie eventually end up with someone else, EDWARD WAS GAY. In a homosexual way.

Oh, you thought my choice of terminology was incidental? Naw. I mean, he's gay in a Dumbledore-like way, that you can't actually tell, but he is actually gay. I like him alot better now, he's alot less intimidating and fits in better with the little team dynamic I've tried to get going on.

So yeah, what was my point again? Oh yes, it was the moment I realised my characters were starting to chart their own destinies. Which meant they had personalities. Which meant they were practically real. Which meant I'd succeeded.

Wahey.

No comments: